Friday, October 5, 2012

     Many people believe going to college is the answer to a solid future. It has even been said that the purpose for going to high school is to prepare you for college. Whether you are interested in becoming an investment banker, or you want to fix cars for a living, college seems to be the answer.
  It seems to be the only path to a career which will provide financial security and stability. Or is it? Some would argue that college may be a waste of money.
 
       So what do I think? I believe Russell Hvolbek said it best, “Moreover, the goals of business humans are to make money and do it as efficiently and quickly as possible. They desire exact facts and data to help them make money. Business humans live for this goal.” It has certainly been my goal and I have yet to succeed. My parents encouraged me to go to college after high school but I had other plans. I started working full time right out of high school. I thought it would be a waste of my time and their money to go to college since I was working and making money already. I thought I had it all figured out. I would start at the bottom and with some hard work, in time I would make my way to the top. After all these years my work ethics haven’t changed and I do still believe in that approach, however, it didn’t work for me. When things didn’t exactly go as I had planned I was devastated. I found myself, about fifteen years later, only making a small amount more money than I was when I first began working. And to stress even more the importance for me to have a more solid income, I now have three children to support. I think college will provide me with the knowledge and skills I need to be better qualified for a position that will help me to better provide for my family.  
                                                  
   But what if I’m wrong? What if I spend the next four years working hard toward a degree that leads me to nowhere? I have to admit that is a real fear of mine and with keeping in mind the increasing number of college graduates who are out of work right now, I believe it to be a legitimate fear. Then I read an article by Dr. Nate Kornell Ph.D. in Psychology Today and it opened my eyes to the possibility that a bigger pay check may not be the only reason I chose to come to college. I would like to have a more clear understanding of the world I am living in. Before college I mainly spent my recent days tending to my children’s needs and sitting on the couch watching television. The only connection I had to the outside world was watching the news.  I want to grow as a person. I need my life to have more meaning. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy being a mother, but I want there to be more to my story than just that. I believe that the more I understand the world I am living in, the better chance I will have of finding my place in it.                                                 
  It seems that there are several others who believe there are more advantages to attending college than just increasing your financial worth. Mike Rose, a professor of education at UCLA  says it makes complete since for people to be concerned with the economic benefits of going to college, but that there are many other reasons to get a college education. He says and I quote,” not just learning things to make a living, but also learning things to enable you to do things with your life, to enable you to find interests and pursuits that may in some way or another expand the way we see things.” I also read an article at COLLEGE the blog that tells that college will help us to develop courage and determination. Well I can tell you that has proven to be true already for me. In just a few short weeks here I have already experienced great anxiety and I have had to face and overcome some fears. I have also obtained knowledge and learned some new skills that have already proved to be useful in my day to day life. So as for the question at hand, “what is college good for, “ I believe college is good for me.  My experience here has thus far been a good one and has already impacted my life in a positive way. So as I hope that there is a great career in my future, and that college will help me to get to it and to be successful at it, I believe college is helping me to achieve other goals as well. But, of course, that it just my theory, what do you think college it good for?
                     What Is College Good For?  By Telisha Taylor
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment